Robert Downey Jr is awesome in all the ways you think he is
I didn't get time to put this story up a little while ago and thought I'd share it now. Last month Robert Downey Jr did a Reddit AMA and has some interesting things to say which you can see below:
1. Hecleared the air about Mel Gibson and Iron Man 4.Hoping to settle a quote that has been blown out of proportion, Downey clarified his intention of doing another Iron Man film if Mel Gibson were on board to direct. “It was an offhanded remark to a journalist and friend. I have other projects in mind for Mel and I,” the actor said.
2. So what does that mean for Marvel’s future? Even if Iron Man 4: More Than Meets the Suit isn’t real (yet), Downey promised Marvel’s plans won’t remain in the shadows forever. “Sooner than later the Marvel Roster will be made public and all questions will be answered,” he said.
While that doesn’t provide any definitive timetable, it should help assuage some of the curiosity that has arisen after the recent rumors about future Avengers films.
3. What’s the secret behind his signature Tony Stark facial hair? One word: Pedro. On the set of Iron Man, a man named Pedro from Shave of Beverly Hills was brought in to sculpt the perfect Tony Stark goatee. “I mean, this guy’s an artist. He’s like the Edward Scissorhands of Mustaches and Beards,” Downey said.
4. Don’t count out a Tony Stark appearances on Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. just yet. While the actor said “there might be a fair amount of red tape involved” in such a cameo, “nothing is impossible.” And when asked what show he would like to guest star on? He simply replied, “Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.,” which would certainly be a ratings boon for the show as it leads up to The Avengers: Age of Ultron next year.
5. Val Kilmer almost died on the set of Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. Or at least, according to Downey. “On the first day of shooting, Val Kilmer (genius) almost choked to death on a piece of catering chicken right before we shot the first scene of the movie,” he explained. “His eyes were still watering until we got to his close up.”
6. He hung out with a 4-year-old Captain America. The actor likely encounters no shortage of fans thanks to the phenomena that is The Avengers and Tony Stark himself. But he recalls one of his favorite run-ins was when he met a child dressed in a Captain America mask. “It seemed natural to him, being that he was Cap, to see some of his friends around. I think I was more excited than him,” Downey said.
7. Age of Ultron won’t “try” to beat the post-credit shawarma scene. And apparently Joss Whedon is Yoda. Downey segued a question about the Hulk’s table manners–horrible, as expected–into a tidbit about The Avengers’ shawarma scene, and whether Age of Ultron will try to one-up the Marvel post-credit scene with the most interesting back story. “…Having just finished Avengers: Age of Ultron, [I] wondered how we’d beat it. Joss [Whedon] says ‘The way to win is to not try,’ Downey said.
So whether Whedon’s secondhand comment and Yoda-like phrasing means there will be no funny extra post-credit scene or such a scene will go in a completely different direction will likely remain up for debate until the film actually premieres.
8. His rapper name is R2D2: And since Disney now owns Marvel and Star Wars, the crossover potential is certainly there.
9. He’s a cat person. While Downey said he’s had some great dogs over the years, so far in life he is firmly on the side of cats in the eternal debate. The actor decided to elaborate: “You gotta really feel it with a dog. Cats are obviously more independent, so as long as they don’t mind you,everything’s cool.”
10. The character he wants to tackle next? Perry Mason. Downey has been developing a Mason film for several years, and his comments indicate that the project has at least taken some shape. He described it as “a pre-’Chinatown’ gumshoe thriller with some courtroom stakes, and action sequences.”
The film, which would harken back to the characters 1930s roots, is a project he hopes that, like Sherlock Holmes, would involve “mining the original material for things that are ‘new.’”
11. He’s open to returning to SNL. Though he’s hosted before and even served as a cast member for a year, Downey is open to returning to Saturday Night Live. A Reddit user asked what the chances were of Downey returning to host, to which he replied “moderate to good.” Hopefully if this would-be hosting gig includes an Avengerssketch, it works out better than the last one.
Speaking of SNL, one question that went unanswered in the AMA came courtesy of an alumnus from Studio 8H. Last season’s newcomer Noël Wells, who was not brought back to SNL this year, asked him for some life advice.
Want to stay up to date on all the latest hot
pics, articles and celebrity news at DAN-isms.com? Follow us on Twitter,
Facebook or Google plus via the follow links on right hand menu.